UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
CAPACITY BUILDING FOR SMART PARTNERSHIPS AMONG CENTRES OF SCIENCE EXCELLENCE IN A MODEL OF SOUTH-SOUTH COOPERATION
ENGAGEMENT OF A PUBLIC HEALTH CONSULTANT (STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT AND FORUM DEVELOPMENT)
PROJECT ID NO: G-Z1-IBO-ZZZ-002
- Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA), for Southern African Centre for Infectious Disease Surveillance (SACIDS), has received financing from the African Development Bank towards Capacity Building for Smart Partnerships among Centres of Science Excellence in a Model of South-South Cooperation. The objective of this intervention is to establish an African One Health Forum. This forum would bring together experts and policy makers around key issues for reducing risks of infectious disease, including improved and coordinated disease surveillance, concerted research and cost-effective effective policy for management of endemic and epidemic diseases of regional importance, and improved regional capacity to deal rapidly and effectively with new disease outbreaks e.g. Ebola virus. SUA intends to apply part of the agreed amount for this grant to payments under the contract for engagement of a Public Health Consultant (Stakeholder Engagement and Forum Development).
- The services under this project include primarily, delivering an effective and collaborative programme for developing SACIDS as the prime Regional/African Forum for One Health that is dedicated to enhancing the capacity of Africa for the detection, identification and monitoring infectious diseases with a view to developing cost-effective policies and strategies for the risk management, prevention and control of infectious disease of humans and animals in the African ecosystems; development of a stakeholders engagement plan – One Health Research based African Forum; stakeholders field visits (SADC, AU, EAC, FAO, OIE, WHO Regional and Sub-regional offices); collaboration with CORDS, AU, EAIDSNet and SADC in (i) facilitating the formation of West African Disease Surveillance Network in response to Ebola; (ii) exploring the feasibility /desirability or stimulating the formation of a One Health based Disease Surveillance Network in the SADC region as part of response to Ebola and other human/animal epidemics that impact on health or livelihoods; (ii) Developing Intensified Preparedness Planning curriculum against Ebola and other epidemics; convening Public Health and Animal Health specialists from Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia, DRC and South Africa plus SADC Secretariat and AU-STRC to explore feasibility of a SADC Disease Surveillance Network similar to MBDS; interaction with AU-STRC in relation to networking for infectious disease surveillance research networks; setting up study teams for key Public/One Health issues for Africa – Brazil collaborative one health based research; prepare and submit stakeholder engagement quarterly reports; assisting the development of an integrated, inclusive programme for SACIDS as the African prime One Health Forum and Research platform; developing collaborative health research activities with Brazilian (e.g. Oswaldo Cruz Institute) and South African (e.g. NICD) institutions including study tour of SACIDS researchers and/or policy makers to Brazil.
- SUA now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services in line with the project deliverables and timelines. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc).
- Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the African Development Bank’s “Rules and Procedures for the use of Consultants” May 2008 revised July 2012, which is available on the Bank’s website at http://www.afdb.org.
- Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours.
- Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by Tuesday 10th November 2015 at 02:00 hrs and mention “Engagement of a Public Health Consultant (Stakeholder Engagement and Forum Development) for capacity building for smart partnerships among centres of science excellence in a model of South-South Cooperation”.
THE VICE CHANCELLOR,
SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE,
P.O. BOX 3000,
Attention: Executive Director, SACIDS